Jeconais posted on Sunday 5th February 2012 9:17am
So, finally, a few months later than expected, we have the long-promised code updates.
While every effort has been made to bug test this, there are probably some still floating around. Alas, I don't have the resources I do at work to run full tests for all browsers.
- Login with Facebook/Google. If nothing else, this stops people from needing emails that are (currently) dodgy. I don't store any of these details, I just match your email address with one in the site. If no match is found, then it offers you a chance to either create a new account, or reclaim your original account.
- Improved story lists - you can now filter, or even do a basic search for stories. I'd have liked to put in a full text search as well, but don't have the server resources to do so.
- Improved story uploading for Site owners - Finally switched to a DOM based parsing system (From the regex based one) that appears to be a LOT more robust
- Changed the translation system to be far more comprehensive.
- Complete visual refresh
- Improved Font Size/Style, CSS and page width settings. These are now available on all story pages
- Updated the user pages (to see all a users reviews) to be more useful
- FINALLY - fixed the problem with .mobi files, and Kindles. New versions are being uploaded at the moment.
- Allowed better html customisation on reviews/comments
- Fixed the bugs showing chapters (On mine) before they were officially released. This has been a long standing bug, that was discovered in December. When I found the bugs, I delayed the release of the stories until i could fix it, but finding this meant re-tooling parts of the site, that just delayed everything. I will be releasing the chapters "officially" for the few who didn't find them before hand shortly.
There are more, but I can't think of them right now. What started as a quick hack to integrate Facebook/Google quickly grew out of control, and a lot of ideas were tried, then removed.
As always, IE support lags behind Chrome/Firefox/Safari - however, it looks like IE10 will support the URL pushState objects, bringing them into line with the other major browsers. I've also dropped support from IE7, 8 is acceptable, just - but if you are stuck on Windows XP, it would be better to use a more up to date browser, if only for stability and security.
If you do find anything wrong/weird - please contact me.
Athenia posted a comment on Tuesday 7th February 2012 3:09am
I noticed that yesterday, under Account, there was a display option (though I couldn't get it to work), but it isn't there now. Is there a way to view the homepage using the original style (Author Boxes with their lastest update) or can we only view by story update now?
Eugene Jacobson posted a comment on Sunday 5th February 2012 10:51pm
Does this mean if we don't have Facebook we will be kicked out?
Not at all - it's just an extra login.
Log in using your account with us
Log in/create an account using
Retrieve your password
Simply enter your email address in below, and we will send you an email with a NEW password in it. Once you have logged in, you will be able to change your password to something a little easier to remember.